Saturday, October 10, 2020

Madame Butterfly animation

 I found the Madame Butterfly animation to be very emotional and sad. It depicted a woman who had to give up her child and then fell into a deep depression. The animation shows the woman tearing off her face, clothing, and skin, until she breaks down to basically nothing. Then, she turns into a butterfly and is able to fly free. The animation was very different from the actual opera, but was still a moving piece of performance art. It was less dependent on the opera singing and actually depicted what was happening. It also did not include the woman’s marriage to her husband or her taking her own life. It included clay puppets and a setting in nature, but still conveyed its message clearly and with meaning. I liked the animation better than the actual opera because in the opera, I had trouble understanding what was happening because the singing was in a different language. The animation made me more emotional and I was able to interpret what was happening solely based on the visuals which was interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flip book :D

  flip book hyperlink Watch this adorable elephant have a very tough time fitting in the elevator...